Friday, September 23, 2011

Museum Thursday

For "Museum Thursday" this week, I made a trip over to the Byzantine Museum. I had a nice visit to this museum once before (Ryan, Rachael, Rob and I visited a few years ago), but this was a much different experience. I was probably one of three visitors in the entire museum and I could feel the eyes of the museum guards follow me as I looked about each room. In many rooms the guard would actually follow three steps behind me around as I looked at each display. It felt a bit creepy and I have to say that the experience was less than enjoyable.

Rob and I had visited the Byzantine Museum in Thessaloniki about two years ago and have taken an interest in Byzantium ever since. If you ever get the change to go to Thessaloniki I HIGHLY recommend the Byzantine museum there. Amazing! Anyway, over the past year or so I've been reading up on Byzantium and was eager to apply my new knowledge at the museum in Athens, but because I was being stared/glared at I could barely focus on anything I was viewing. I'll try my luck again later this year, perhaps on a busier day. I managed to snag a few photos on this visit, including this icon of the Virgin and Child painted by Emmanuel Tzanes in the 17th century.

Stay tuned for updates this weekend, we have a swimming trip to Cape Sounion planned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment