Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Great View


This morning I took a 45 minute walk/climb to the Philopappos Monument (of which I will talk about in a later post) for the magnificent views. In this photo you can see the Acropolis with it's Parthenon, Erechtheum (just to the left/north of the Parthenon), and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus (below the Acropolis). It's important to note that the word 'Acropolis' means "high city" and includes remnants of many ancient structures of which the Parthenon is the most famous. (You can see these more clearly if you click the photo to enlarge the image).

On a side note: The hill in the distance behind the Acropolis is called Lycavittos and is the highest point in the city. Rob and I live just below where the line of pine trees ends and the apartment blocks begin on the right side of Lycavittos pictured in the photo.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!
    I was so happy to get your blog the other day and read all about your adventures! This post is one of my favorites so far because the picture of the Parthenon is clear and easy for Roman to see it is the same structure as the one we read about today. I am homeschooling the boys and Roman and I studied Ancient Egyptians first and are now doing an overview of Ancient Greece. It made it seem more real to see your pictures and compare them to the childrens version.
    Looking forward to following your blog,
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena,
    Great to hear from you! :) I'm so glad Roman was able to see the Parthenon. If you need to see something specific or he has an interest in something just let me know and I'll go take some photos! Tell your family hello from me :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks:) We went through your pictures and looked for the three pillar types: Ionic, Doric and Corinthian. But in Kindergarten they only do a very basic oveview. It has been a long time since we have seen you! Love your blog!
    Rena

    ReplyDelete