Saturday, September 17, 2011

Museum Thursday


Every Thursday our room is cleaned by the "Ladies" of Loring Hall. This means that I need to leave at about 10 a.m. and can usually return around noon. I've gotten into the habit of using this as my excuse to visit various museums throughout the city. This past Thursday I took a walk over to the Cycladic Art Museum, partially because it's close by and partially because Rob and I have a Cycladic island excursion planned for ourselves in about three weeks. Anyway, the museum contains a great variety of ancient artifacts from the Cycladic islands, Cyprus, and a nice exhibit called "Scenes from Daily Life in Antiquity." My favorite piece is a female figurine from the Early Cycladic II period (2800-2300 BC). These types of figures usually have their head tilted back, knees flexed, and toes slanted down with their arms folded beneath their chests. It is unclear what these figurines were used for, although the evidence does suggest that they were used in funerary practice as they have been found in graves.

No comments:

Post a Comment