Sunday, January 15, 2012

Halfway

Today marks the halfway point of our time in Athens, and as I look back on all that I've experienced so far I am simply amazed. Those who know me well know of my passion/obsession about travel. Of course I love to visit different countries, see the well-known sites, enjoy the scenery, eat the local food and drink the local beverage, but for me there is so much more.

As the world becomes smaller and the media bigger I think it's imperative that Americans get moving! We need to get up, get out of our comfort zones and start looking around us. Let's experience something different and learn from it instead of judging it. Living in Athens has taught me to view all media with a keen eye. While friends and family at home are watching Syntagma Square go up in flames on the TV, I am sitting in that very square having coffee with my friends. Things are rarely what they seem. I think its way too easy for us to live in middle America, get our news from the TV and Internet and judge the world away. Perhaps if we all spent a few months outside of our comfort zones we would have a little more information to make our judgements with. We wouldn't live with so much fear. Fear of the words Muslim or Mosque or Arabic. I'll put a lid on it here (for now), but feel free to comment as I'd love to hear what you all might have to say.



Our window sill has been transformed into our travel bookshelf. Don't worry, only a handful of these books are ours and the rest we have borrowed for the communal library at Loring. Maybe someday you'll be buying a guidebook authored by K. Nichols. :)

P.S. We just received word that the American School will be making a trip to Egypt in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment